Pages

Welcome:

This is my initial foray into the world of blogging. Here, as the title suggests, I'll discuss those things that occupy me mind, body and soul.


Life - My wife, my kids, parents, family and friends. What it means to be from Pittsburgh, and basically the triumphs and travails of a U.S. citizen swept up by the ever blowing winds of change in today's Information Age.


The Universe - From the beauty of a Luna moth in my shrubbery; to the majestic photos from the Hubble Telescope, whose images force us to come face to face both with our insignificance, as well the incredible splendor of the Universe around us; to the physical, philosophical and ethical implications such discoveries as the Higgs-Bosun particle may, and will, have on today's world, as I see it.


and the Pittsburgh Steelers - I'm a product of the Pittsburgh Diaspora, and damn proud of it. The Steelers, and the Rooney family represent the quiet dignity, work ethic, and basic goodness of the people of Pittsburgh, and have done so since 1933. No other organization, in the sports world or otherwise, better represents, honors, and carries forth proudly the basic essence and traditions of the people of its birthplace, than the Pittsburgh Steelers


In no small part, and in no particular order, I dedicate my musings to be found herein to my Wife, my Family, and the People of Pittsburgh, for without all of them, I would not be who I am today. The comments, thoughts and opinions contained herein are solely my own, with all faults or blame laid only at my own feet.


Sunday, August 5, 2012

I was born 10 years too late to enjoy the pinnacle of the muscle car era, never having owned an original Challenger, Barracuda, Road Runner or GTO.  Instead, when I reached driving age, I was stuck with the likes of the K cars, the Pinto, Vega or Gremlin.

I was born 10 years too early, otherwise I might have jumped on the digital tech train, learning code, hacking into systems, making tons of money.  Instead, by the time the first IBM AT 286 became affordable, I was already in grad school getting an MBA and having no idea computers, and their cousins the smartphone, would become so prevalent in every day life, nor be able to perform such wonderful things in this, the Information Age.

I have an MBA in International Business, and a BA in English writing.  The former, to create a career for myself, the latter both to nurture my love of literature, and to be able to effectively communicate via the written word.  While what I learned in grad school helped prepare me in my career, what I gained while learning how to write both improved my career prospects, and taught me the power of the written word.  Twitter and the Social Media have caught a lot of flack for the various drawbacks inherent in them, and the "destruction" of the English language, but at the same time, people are communicating via the written word in numbers the world has never seen before.  Just look at the "Arab Spring" and tell me the ability to reach out, to send word of your struggles, your fears, your hopes, and having people around the world respond to you, isn't the most powerful tool in the world.In no small part, and in no particular order, I dedicate my musings to be found herein to My wife, my Family, and the People of Pittsburgh, for without them, I would not be who I am today.  The comments, thoughts, opinions contained herein are solely my own, with all faults or blame laid only at my own feet.


No comments:

Post a Comment